Lutheran congregations near and far
The Mission Diocese is involved in and supports mission work both in Finland and abroad. This is based on the Great Command to go into all the world and make disciples by baptising them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit and by teaching them. (Matt. 28:18-20)
The founding principle for the mission work is the proclamation of the Gospel and teaching God’s word so that Lutheran congregations might be founded and strengthened.
The vision of our mission work: Lutheran congregation near and far.
In our mission work abroad we emphasise the following aspects:
• Creating the conditions for Lutheran congregational life and the founding of new congregations
• Translation of Lutheran literature for congregations
• Enabling theological training through scholarships
• Sending theologians and experts to short term teaching seminars
• Translation and teaching in East Africa through Lutheran Heritage Foundation. The work is been done by the missionary family of Leena and Tuomo Simojoki.
• Supporting Lutheran Churches by offering scholarships to train workers. Scholarships have now been extended in Asia to the Jarai-people and in East Africa.
• Theological training in various regions by sending Pastors to short term teachings seminars.
• The mission work is coordinated by the Mission Committee
• The Mission Coordinator is in charge of communicating mission news to the congregations
• In the congregations there are dedicated persons in charge of communicating the mission news to the congregants
• Lutheran Heritage Foundation. Founded in 1991, the organisation translates, publishes, distributes and introduces basic Lutheran literature in over 80 countries and in over 100 languages.
• The mission work is made possible by private donations
• Congregations fundraise support through mission offerings
”All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” (Matt. 28: 18-20)